Are you a fashion enthusiast who loves to rock those sleek, stylish, coated jeans? If you are, you’re probably aware of how these jeans can instantly elevate your look. But here’s the million-dollar question: Can you wash coated jeans without ruining them? I’m about to spill all the secrets of maintaining your coated denim in tip-top condition.
What Are Coated Jeans?
Before diving into the nitty-gritty of washing coated jeans, let’s understand what they are. Coated jeans are regular denim that have been treated with a special coating, usually made from wax or polyurethane.
This coating gives them a leather-like or glossy appearance, making them stand out in fashion. The coating adds a unique texture and makes them water-resistant to some extent.
Read Also: How To Clean Designer Jeans?
Can You Wash Coated Jeans?
Yes, you absolutely can wash coated jeans! However, there’s a catch. Unlike regular jeans, you must take extra precautions to ensure they maintain their sheen and shape. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to wash them without compromising their style.
Different Methods for Washing Coated Jeans
Here are 3 different methods for washing Coated Jeans:
1. Hand Washing Method
Washing-coated jeans, which typically have a shiny or wax-like finish, require extra care to preserve their unique look and durability. Hand washing is a gentle method to clean them without causing damage. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to hand-wash coated jeans:
- Step 1: Fill a basin with cold water.
- Step 2: Add a gentle detergent specifically designed for delicate fabrics.
- Step 3: Turn your coated jeans inside out to protect the coating.
- Step 4: Submerge your jeans and gently agitate the water.
- Step 5: Allow them to soak for about 15 minutes.
- Step 6: Gently rub the fabric with your hands to remove any dirt or stains.
- Step 7: Rinse the jeans thoroughly with cold water until all the detergent is washed out.
- Step 8: Gently squeeze out excess water.
- Step 9: Lay them flat on a clean towel, roll it up, and press gently to remove more moisture.
- Step 10: Hang your jeans to air dry. Avoid direct sunlight to prevent fading.
Related Post: Are Lucky Jeans Still In Style?
2. Machine Washing Method
While machine washing coated jeans is possible, it should be your last resort as it can be harsh on the fabric.
- Step 1: Turn your coated jeans inside out.
- Step 2: Place them in a mesh laundry bag to reduce friction.
- Step 3: Use a cold, gentle cycle with a minimal spin speed.
- Step 4: Add a small amount of mild detergent.
- Step 5: Skip the fabric softener, as it can break down the coating.
- Step 6: Once the cycle is complete, remove the jeans immediately.
- Step 7: Follow the same drying process as for hand-washed jeans.
3. Dry cleaning Method
Washing coated jeans through dry cleaning is a safe and effective method to maintain their quality and finish. Here’s a brief guide on how to dry-clean coated jeans:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Coated jeans
- Dry cleaning kit or a professional dry cleaning service
- Check the Care Label: Always check the care label on your coated jeans to see if dry cleaning is recommended or required. Many coated jeans are labeled as “dry clean only.”
- Select a Dry Cleaning Method:
- Home Dry Cleaning Kit: If you choose to use a home dry cleaning kit, follow the instructions provided with the kit. These kits typically include cleaning sheets and a bag for the dryer.
- Professional Dry Cleaning: For the best results and to ensure your coated jeans are properly cleaned, take them to a professional dry cleaning service. Inform the cleaner that your jeans have a coated finish.
- Home Dry Cleaning Kit Method:
- Place your jeans in the provided dryer bag along with a cleaning sheet from the kit.
- Follow the kit’s instructions regarding the dryer settings and cycle duration.
- Once the cycle is complete, remove your jeans from the bag.
- Professional Dry Cleaning Method:
- Take your coated jeans to a reputable dry cleaning service.
- Inform the dry cleaner of any stains or concerns about the jeans.
- Trust the professionals to clean and handle your coated jeans properly.
- Inspect and Finish: After either method, carefully inspect your coated jeans for any remaining stains or issues. If necessary, point them out to the dry cleaner for further attention.
- Storage: Store your coated jeans properly, hanging them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Should You Wash Coated Jeans?
Yes, you should wash coated jeans, but not as frequently as regular jeans. Overwashing can cause the coating to deteriorate quickly. Follow the care instructions mentioned above to maintain their quality.
Are Coated Jeans Machine Washable?
Coated jeans can be machine washed, but it’s best to reserve this method for when hand washing isn’t feasible. Always use a gentle cycle and a laundry bag to protect them.
Do Coated Jeans Last?
With proper care, coated jeans can last a long time. Avoid excessive washing, and store them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to preserve their coating.
Can Coated Jeans Be Ironed?
It’s not recommended to iron-coated jeans directly, as high heat can damage the coating. If they have wrinkles, hang them in the bathroom while you shower to let the steam release the creases gently.
Are Coated Jeans Suitable for All Seasons?
Coated jeans are versatile and can be worn in various seasons. They offer some water resistance, making them suitable for wetter conditions. However, they may feel warmer in hot weather due to the coating.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on washing coated jeans and maintaining their allure. These unique denim pieces can be a fashion staple, but they require extra care to ensure they stay fabulous.
Remember, less is more when it comes to washing, and always follow the care instructions to keep your coated jeans looking their best.